Over the weekend my family and I went to our church’s fall festival and had a lot of fun. They had an array of different booths and fun foods to partake in, but none of them were very healthy. With all the sugar that is about to hit our homes because of Halloween on Friday I thought another healthy recipe should be in order.
A Clean Fall Classic
I love to cook with butternut squash because there are so many ways to make it sweet, spicy, and even savory. This 21 Day Fix – Butternut Squash Soup I created really hits the spot and perfect for the cool crisp weather. It is gluten and grain free and kid approved.
- 2 - 2.5 pound butternut squash peeled, de-seeded and cubed (no more than four cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (no more than two cups)
- 32 fl-oz of Organic Free Range Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoons sea salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Take your butternut squash and with a peeler, peel off all the outside skin. Cut the squash in half and de-seed then cut into cubes as shown in photo below.
- Chop your medium onion, two medium carrots, and minced up garlic and put into a stock pot with your tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat and saute until nice and soft.
- Add in the four cups of cubed squash to your stock pot.
- Then take the 2 cups of water and add in your chicken or vegetable broth.and throw in the seasonings and herbs above.
- Simmer all ingredients until you can poke a fork through the squash.
- Next take an immersion blender and blend until smooth or whatever consistency you like it.
- You can garnish with pumpkin seeds if you want or a dollop of plain yogurt.
- Day Fix Containers: 1 serving = 1 green and 1 tsp
This recipe is 21 Day Fix approved. The 21 Day Fix is a fabulous fitness and clean eating program I have used with several clients helping people lose lots of weight and inches. To know more about that program click HERE.
Interested in getting healthy? Need a support system to actually press play and learn how to change your diet? As an on-line health and fitness coach I can help you! I connect people with in-home fitness programs that meet their needs and help create support along the way. Ready to make the change or want to talk about your goals click HERE.