A vegetable meatloaf your kids will gobble up!
Does your family love turkey meatloaf? My family loves vegetable turkey meatloaf and my kids fight for space to help me in the kitchen when I make it. They devour a slice of meatloaf in no time flat, but when it comes to their veggies sometimes it is an all out vegetable war. To create a healthier meatloaf I started experimenting by adding in oatmeal instead of bread crumbs, I also added in lots of different vegetables and guess what my kids still loved the turkey meatloaf. I actually got high fives and my husband told me whatever I did to keep doing it.
This vegetable turkey meatloaf is an easy to follow recipe that does not take much time to prepare. It is gluten and dairy free and packed full of flavors from the Italian herbs used. It is always better the second day and is perfect for a family dinner, as well as, a date night at home after the kids have gone to bed. The great thing about this meatloaf is it is also 21 Day Fix approved minus the sauce on top.
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 cups baby carrots or two medium carrots chopped
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets stems trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup gluten free certified oats
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk or your milk of choice
- 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning or use ½ tsp each for basil, oregano, marjoram, and thyme
- dash of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 4 tablespoons of mustard
- ½ cup of ketchup
- (this makes enough to put over the vegetable turkey meatloaf and have extra to put on after cooking if desired.)
- Cooking Spray oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I love to use my food processor so if you have one just put in one of the shredding disc blades and then add in all the veggies one at a time. If you do not have a food processor then chopped, dice, and minced the vegetables above.
- Once all the vegetables are prepared get a big mixing bowl and add in the ground turkey, then add in the veggies, sea salt and Italian seasonings. I mix those together first and then I add in the egg, milk, and oatmeal and mix thoroughly until well blended.
- I take a bread pan and coat it with cooking spray oil and fold into the bread pan the vegetable turkey meatloaf mixture.
- Next I get a smaller bowl and add in the honey, mustard, and ketchup and mix with a spoon. Then I take about ¾ of the sauce or maybe less depending on how much coating you want on your meatloaf and spread it all over the top of the vegetable turkey meatloaf.
- The left over sauce I use to put on the slices once served if people want more sauce.
- Place in the oven for one hour or until it reaches an inside middle temperature of 165 degrees F.
What kind of meatloaf does your family love? Comment Below!