Healthy No Bake Protein Snack!
One of my favorite snacks to make my kids are Shakeology energy balls because they are packed with protein. I also like them because they are a perfect bite sized snack for me and do not pack a huge calorie punch. They are easy to make and require no baking at all. Not only are they yummy, but they are made with chickpeas which is one of my favorite high protein foods. I love chickpeas because they take on the flavor of whatever you add to them. They do contain some fat, but none of it is the unhealthy saturated or trans-fat varieties and they are packed full of vitamins which makes this Shakeology energy ball really healthy.
My kids not only love to eat these Shakeology energy balls, but they love to help me make them. Something about pushing buttons on small kitchen appliances makes the prep so much fun. While we were making these energy balls and putting ingredients into the food processor my son Tristan decided he wanted to have a vanilla Shakeology shake. He did not realize the bag was opened already and he spilled over half of a brand new bag of vanilla Shakeology all over the kitchen floor. The floor was not clean either from my kids tracking stuff in from playing outside and dropping bits of food as they carried their dirty dishes to the sink. My son was like mommy I only wanted a shake I am sorry I will clean it up. I did not make him clean it up and hey the “5 Minute Rule” applies with Shakeology right? I did try to save as much as possible, but Shakeology is good stuff and none of it should be wasted. Anyways we got the mess all cleaned up and finished taking turns adding in the ingredients and letting each have a turn at pushing the on button. It is the little things in life that make kids happy and sometimes I feel we adults need to take note.
After the energy balls were rolled I then we set them in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes. The balls have a nice texture to them because of the chocolate chips and the oatmeal mixed in. They also will keep for several days in the refrigerator as well. The great thing about this recipe is you can modify it to fit your needs by adding in raisins, coconut, white chocolate chips, honey, it is limitless and all still healthy. So the next time you need a quick and easy no bake snack come back to this recipe of my Shakeology energy balls and make them for you and your family.
Check out my other energy ball recipe on my other blog Inspired-Housewife HERE
- 3 cups of Chickpeas (canned or cooked) (always rinse your beans before using them)
- 1 cup gluten free certified oats or regular oats
- ¾ cups Almond Butter (or any other nuts/seed butter)
- ½ cup Pure Maple Syrup or Honey
- 3 tsp Vanilla
- 1 scoop of Vanilla or Chocolate Shakeology (1 scoop = ½ cup)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or raisins
- You can also add coconut flakes if desired too (1/2 cup)
- Take your food processor and with the chopper blade put in your chickpeas, oats, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt, and scoop of Shakeology.
- Mix until your ingredients become smooth then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Take a cookie sheet and line with wax paper and take about a tablespoon amount of the Shakeology Energy Ball mixture and roll into tight round little balls.
- Once this is done put into the refrigerator to harden and then store in an air tight container to eat as desired.
- *hint when rolling if mixture starts to stick to your hands just wash them clean and keep rolling.
Want to know more about what Shakeology is? Click HERE